Single core stranded aluminium conductor with coloured insulation used to denote the intended use of the cable. Cables produced by Tratos have been awarded a Network Rail Certificate of Acceptance PA05/07385
Tratos Earthing and Bonding cables perform an important safety function, they have been awarded Network Rail Certificate of Acceptance PA05/07385.
Earthing and bonding are both essential requirements of any electrical installation. They are two very different, but often confused, methods of preventing electric shock. Earthing is not bonding, and bonding is not earthing, they are different concepts.
Earthing is provided to connect exposed-conductive parts to the main system earth, to provide a low resistance path to earth for any fault current.
The principal purpose of earthing is to limit the duration of touch voltages if a person were to make contact with an exposed conductive part. The earth creates a safe route for the current to flow instead of causing electric shock.
The purpose of bonding is to reduce the risk of electric shock by ensuring that separate metallic parts are at the same potential
Tratos earthing and bonding cables are manufactured with a stranded aluminium conductor, manufactured in accordance with BS EN 50182:2001 Table F.39 and BS 60228 where applicable.
The PVC Type TI 1 material used by Tratos for cables for general applications is manufactured in accordance with the requirements of BS EN 50363-3 and is UV stabilised.
For tunnels and subsurface installations Tratos supply a Low Smoke Zero Halogen material manufactured in accordance with the requirements of BS EN 50363-7.
Other designs are available on request. Standards NR/L2/ELP/23002 Module 05
ApplicationEarthing and bonding cables used on a.c. electric traction energy sub-systems (OLE Electrified Lines) on Network Rail infrastructure to prevent electric shock.
- Conductor: Stranded aluminium 158AL1 (Hornet) and 266AL1 (Cockroach)
- Insulation: PVC Type TI1 for general use (UV stabilised). Low smoke, zero halogen (LSZH) for cables for use in tunnels and sub-surface locations, cables in buildings fulfil the requirements of classification B2ca, s1a, a1 as defined in BS EN 13501-6. (Construction Products Regulation)
- Colours available: Black, Red, Yellow and Green
- BS 215-1
- BS EN 13501-6
- BS EN 50182
- BS EN 50363-3
- Tratos Hornet 158 AL – Earthing & Bonding Cable
- Tratos Cockroach 266 AL – Earthing & Bonding Cable