TRATOS® PAS 5308 Part 1/Type 2 – Armoured Construction
Control and Instrumentation cable
Publicly Available Specification PAS 5308-1 replaces BS 5308-1 and provides additional aspects not covered in the European standard for control and instrumentation cables, BS EN 50288-7. As the actual manufacturer of these cables, not simply a distributor, Tratos has total control of the design, quality and manufacturing process from the purchase of the raw materials through to final testing and despatch to our customers. Having control of the manufacturing process Tratos can ensure compatibility with most makes and types of glands. Tratos manufacture a complete range of control and instrumentation cables for industrial applications. Tratos control and instrumentation cables are available with either Class 1, Class 2 or, to aid installation and allow repeated removal of meters for calibration, Class 5 conductors. Tratos control and instrumentation cables are available with individual or collective screens to confine the electric field and to limit the external electrical influences. In the Publicly Available Specification, cables are designated according to their construction, type 1 cables are unarmoured, type 2 cables have a single wire armour. Type 2 cables provide reasonable protection again mechanical damage and where special precautions are taken, exposure to petrochemicals and explosive atmospheres. Both types of cable have a PVC outer sheath, however recognising the contribution of cables to a fire hazard Tratos manufacture an equivalent range of cables with a low smoke, zero halogen (LSZH) sheath.
Electric cables used for the supply of electricity and for control and communication purposes, which are intended for use in buildings and other civil engineering construction works are covered by the Construction Products Regulation No. 305/2011 and subject to performance requirements on reaction to fire.
Tratos control and instrumentation cables are available as class Cca (BS EN 50575) as standard, higher classifications are available on request
The ranges of control and instrumentation cables have been rationalised to preclude certain cable types and conductor sizes in accordance with current industry practice.
- PAS 5038-1 – Design
- BS EN 60288 class 1, class 2 or class 5 – Conductor
- BS EN 50290-2-23 or BS EN 50290-2-23 – Insulation
- BS EN 10257-1 – Galvanised steel wire armour
- BS EN 50290-2-22 or BS EN 50290-2-27 – Sheath
Where CPR applies
- BS EN 50575
- CPR BS EN 13501-6
Where CPR does not apply
- IEC 60332-1 – Flame Retardant
- IEC60332-3-22 – Flame retardant
- IEC60754-1,2 – Halogen Free (on request)
- IEC 61034-1,2 – Low Smoke (on request)
Tel: +44 20 3148 5178
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you need additional information about our products.
ApplicationUsed for wiring control, protection, signalling, communication and data transmission circuits in industrial applications where individual or collective screening of the pairs by an earthed metallic layer to prevent cross talk and reduce external electrical influences is required. Type 2 control and instrumentation cables are armoured and therefore suitable for direct burial or for use in heavy duty applications where there is a risk of mechanical damage.
- Conductor: BS EN 60228 class 1, class 2 or class 5 plain annealed copper
- Insulation: Grade L/MD thermoplastic polyethene (PE) to BS EN 50290-2-23 or Cross-linked PE (XLPE) to BS EN 50290-2-29
- Individual pair screen (optional)
- a) Aluminium/polyester tape, metallic side down, in contact with minimum 0.5mm2 tinned copper drain wire
- b) Polyester isolating tape(s) numbered for identification
- Tape: Polyester binder tape
- Collective screen (optional) - Aluminium/polyester tape, metallic side down, in contact with minimum 0.5mm2 tinned copper drain wire
- Bedding: Grade TM51 PVC to BS EN 50290-2-22
- Armour: Galvanised steel wire armour to BS EN 10257-1
- Outer sheath: Grade TM51 PVC to BS EN 50290-2-22 or on request halogen free flame retardant compound (LSZH) to BS EN 50290-2-27
- Standard colour: Black (other colours available on request)
- Control and Instrumentation
- Rated voltage 150/250 V
- Maximum continuous conductor operating temperature for PE insulation 65 °C.
- Maximum continuous conductor operating temperature for XLPE insulation 90 °C.
- Minimum installation temperatures 0 °C.
- Minimum operation temperature when installed – 15 °C
Maximum DC Conductor resistance at 20 °C
- 0.5 mm2 class 1 36.8 Ω/km
- 1.0 mm2 class 1 18.4 Ω/km
- 0.5 mm2 class 5 39.7 Ω/km
- 1.5 mm2 class 2 12.3 Ω/km
- 2.5 mm2 class 2 7.6 Ω/km
The maximum pair to pair capacitance unbalance shall be:
- For lengths of 250m, 250 pF at 1 kHz or
- For lengths other than 250 m (less than 100 m shall be considered as 100 m) 250 pF divided by the length gin metres of the cable under test.
Minimum bending radius
Type 2 cables 6D
Please, don’t hesitate to contact us for additional information on our company or our products.
Together with AENOR in protecting the environment
Tratos has made possible the first use of Bornewables™ in the energy industry
“Egidio Capaccini” Award - 2022 edition
What is Tratos premium price?
Moving to fully recognised certification body BSI to be global
Tratos’ CEO joined the world leaders at COP26 to tackle climate change
Tratos to award the “Egidio Capaccini” Prize to deserving students of its local community
Tratos at DSEI