REELING & TRAILING CABLES BASED ON AS/NZS 2802
AS/NZS 2802 specifies two classes of cables for reeling and trailing cables for mining and general use, and defines cable structures developed to satisfy particular industry requirements. For high voltage applications, cables with a rationalized range of conductor sizes are specified to provide an optimum range to meet most applications.
Type 409 is a popular cable for use as a flexible trailing feeder cable to mobile equipment such as draglines, drills and face shovels . Electrically symmetrical.
All cables with a voltage rating of 3 .3/3 .3 kV and above have a cross-linked semiconductive elastomeric material extruded directly over a textile reinforced semiconductive tape applied around the power core conductor using a triple extrusion process in combination with the EPR insulation and an insulation stress relief screen. The material used for the insulation stress relief screen is a cross-linked semiconductive elastomeric compound which is applied directly over the insulation of each power core followed by a composite tinned annealed copper/ polyester braid.
All cables with a voltage rating of 1,1/1,1 kV have a separator tape over the power core conductor, an extruded EPR insulation and a textile tape applied over the insulation followed by a composite tinned annealed copper/ polyester braid.
Three such screened cores are laid up around a semiconductive cradle separator containing a single EPR insulated extensible pilot core.
Core identification as follows: 3,3/3,3 kV and higher voltages Power core identification by coloured tracers in the composite screen (Red, White, Blue). 1,1/1,1 kV cables are supplied with coloured insulation.Central Pilot Core identification, all voltages, coloured insulation (Grey). Sheathed overall by a Heavy duty HD-85-PCP sheath Black (other colours on request). An open weave textile reinforcing braid can be included on request.
When required a textile-reinforced semiconductive waterblocking tape can be applied on special request.
The cables specified in Standard AS/NZS 2802 have been designed to meet the special requirements of the Australian surface mining industry and also to comply with the requirements of AS 3007, Electrical installations—Surface mines and associated processing plant (all parts).
Although surface mining was a significant factor in determining the cables to be incorporated into Standard AS/NZS 280, it is recognized that many of these cables will be equally applicable to other installations, e.g. underground metalliferous mines, ship loaders, travelling cranes, reclaimers at loading stations and other large materials handling plant.
A number of cables specified in this Standard might also meet the requirements for underground coal mines; however, reeling and trailing cables for coalmines are the subject of AS/NZS 1802, Electric cables—Reeling and trailing—For underground coal mining purposes.
- AS/NZS 2802
- AS/NZS 1125
- AS/NZS 3808
- AS/NZS 5000 .1
ApplicationA popular cable for use as a heavy duty flexible trailing feeder cable to mobile equipment such as draglines, drills and face shovels suitable for trailing and slow reeling applications smaller cables suitable for supplies to hand held drills and portable equipment Cable users will be assisted in making the appropriate cable selection by reference to the descriptive tables of cable types in Standard AS/NZS 2802.
- Semiconductive elastomer cradle separator containing a central extensible pilot core
- Three power cores of equal cross-sectional area, each comprising—
- (a) conductor
- (b) conductor screen (3.3/3.3 kV and above cables)
- (c) insulation (Class 2) EPR R-EP-90
- (d) proofed taped and composite screen for 1.1/1.1 kV and above
- (e) insulation screen (semiconductive and composite) for cables 3.3/3.3 kV and above
- Laid up around the semiconductive cradle separator
- Outer sheath of heavy-duty elastomer (HD-85-PCP) that also fills the outer interstices of the laid-up core assembly Standard colour Black. Heavy duty CPE/CSP sheath can be offered upon request
- Optional sheath reinforcement (within sheath)
- Typical Marking: TRATOS + R-EP-90/HD-85-PCP + TYPE 409.6 + YEAR + SIZE + Metre Mark
- Core Identification- 1.1/1.1 kV: Power core identification by coloured insulation (Red, White, Blue). Central Pilot Core identification coloured insulation (Grey) .
- Core Identification - 3.3/3.3 kV and higher voltages: Power core identification by coloured tracers in the composite screen (Red, White, Blue). Central Pilot Core identification coloured insulation (Grey).
- Class 2
- Electrically symmetrical
- Voltage ranges: 1,1/1,1 kV to 22/22 kV
- Maximum conductor operating temperature 90oC
- Minimum operating temperature -25oC