Defence Standard 02-526 (previously NES526) Multicore Special Tratos JBA® Limited Fire Hazard (LFH) Elastomeric Insulated and Elastomeric Sheathed Degaussing Cable for Military Vessels
DEF 02-526 (NES526) cables incorporate LFH (Limited Fire Hazard) dual layer insulation and sheath approved to DEF STAN 61 12 Part 31 (formerly NES 518) for reduced levels of smoke and toxic fumes in the event of a fire.
Tratos hold type approval to manufacture and supply DEF 02-526 (formerly NES526) cables from QinetiQ under their 25 year long term partnering agreement (LTPA) with the Ministry of Defence (MOD). Our QinetiQ approval certificate number is BCC/30/12/037/002.
These cables are used for ships degaussing systems, the use of multiple small conductors aid installation in difficult locations.
These cables are constructed to be compact and circular and are designed to withstand the conditions of reeving, temporary support and glanding into equipment and through bulkheads, that are accepted practices in the shipbuilding and ship refitting industry.
The Nato Stock Number (NSN), nominal conductor area, nominal stranding and the conductor formations for these single core cables are detailed in DEF STAN 02-526 table B6.
Each individual cable has a unique NATO Stock Number (NSN), or National Stock Number as it is known in the United States of America (USA).
DEF STAN 02-526 Issue 2 (formerly NES 526)
ApplicationDEF 02-526 cables used in fixed applications degaussing duty in Her Majesty surface ships and vessels suitable for use where fuel, lubricating oils, hydraulic fluids and water are present.
- Stranded tinned annealed copper conductors (class 2) according to BS EN 60228
- Special Tratos Defence JBA® Dual layer LFH elastomeric compound according to DEF STAN 02-526
- Core number printed for Identification
- Cores are laid up helically in layers
- Special Tratos Defence JBA® Black LFH elastomeric compound according to Defence Standard 61-12 part 31
- Cable sheath marking + Tratos + year of manufacture + Def Stan 02-526 + Last seven digits of the NSN number"
FIRE HAZARD TESTS
- Conductor Insulation Smoke Index – Clause 5.2.1 of DEF STAN 02-526
- Flammability Test on Cores – BS EN 60332-1-2
- Flammability Test on Complete cable – up to 4mm2 BS EN 60332-1-2, 4 mm2 and larger BS EN 60332-3-23
- Voltage Rating: 440 V (rms sinusoidal) between cores and earth/screens and be suitable for use on systems in which the frequency of supply is up to and including 400 Hz.
- Service life 40,000 hours at a continuous conductor temperature of 90°C
- These cables are suitable for use at conductor temperatures from -30°C to +105°C.
- The lower temperature limit refers to weatherdeck applications under ‘arctic’ conditions, and the maximum continuous conductor temperature limit to the combination of ambient temperature and temperature rise due to maximum current flow.