Triplex cable for DNO BS 7870 - 11kv Medium voltage
TRIPLEX 11 kV cable for DNO BS 7870-4.10 – Medium voltage Polymeric (HEPR or XLPE) insulated cables for use for distribution of electrical energy by Distribution Network Operators (DNO) and generation utilities.
A DNO being the company that owns and operates the MV power lines and underground infrastructure that distributes electricity from the National Grids HV grid supply points the final customers or end-users property.
Manufactured in accordance with BS 7870-4.10 “Specification for distribution cables with extruded insulation of rated voltages of 11 kV to 33 kV.”
Aluminium or Copper conductors, EPR or XLPE Insulated, copper wire screen and MDPE or LSZH outer sheath cables, assembled in trefoil formation.
The Tratos standard product is 11kV Single Core (or Triplex) Circular solid aluminium (SAC) conductor, Ethylene propylene rubber (EPR), copper wire screen, medium density polyethene (MDPE) over sheath, three single cores laid up in triplex formation to specification BS7870 and IEC 60502
Alternative constructions available from Tratos include stranded aluminium or copper conductors (Class 2), cross-linked polyethene (XLPE) insulation, copper wire screen, Low Smoke, Zero Halogen (LSZH) over sheath, three single cores laid up in triplex formation to specification BS7870 and IEC 60502
Most common sizes Copper conductors 300 mm2, Copper 630 mm2;
Aluminium conductors 70 mm2 , 95 mm2, 150 mm2, 185 mm2 , 240 mm2, 300 mm2 Al.
Tratos is the first and only cable manufacturer in the world to achieve BASEC approval for medium voltage cables to BS 7870-4.10, a cable type specifically intended for a wide range of cable applications between 6.35 and 33kV for power distribution.
The company is committed to this rigorous independent testing regime in line with its focus on the quality of its products, quality management system and its employees.
Tratos’ commitment to client support is demonstrated through its technical team which works with engineers, consultants and installers to achieve the optimum cable solutions for every application or installation.
The British Approvals Service for Cables (BASEC) accreditation provides assurance of regular independent cable testing and approval. BASEC has a reputation for quality, clarity and safety, its certification services cover electrical cables, data and signal cables and ancillary products.
With an extensive track record in their manufacture, Tratos’ MV cables are found in the most reliable installations around the world. Tratos’ MV cables are specified for use by utilities, DNO’s, industrial plants, highways, mining and tunnelling and Oil & Gas installations. The Tratos cable range is manufactured to meet the most exacting and demanding national and international standards so as to achieve the performance levels required by such prestigious customers as London Underground. Available in standard and non-standard lengths, Tratos MV cables are made to the highest quality and rigorously tested at our own R&D test facilities backed up by the independent monitoring and testing by BASEC.
ApplicationTratos 11 kV Triplex cable is the most common arrangement for supplying large industrial and commercial loads by underground distribution systems. The LSZH outer sheath is recommended where improved Reaction to Fire Performance is required.
- Conductor: stranded circular compacted copper or aluminium
- Conductor screen: semi-conducting layer
- Insulation: HEPR or XLPE
- Insulation screen: strippable (alternatively bonded) semi-conducting screen copper wire spiral screen
- Outer sheath: HDPE sheathed
- Standard colour: RED
- Triplex: 3 such cables spiralled together
- Marking: TRATOS ELECTRIC CABLE 6.35/11 kV BS 7870-4.10 (Number of Cores and Size) + (Year of Manufacture) + Metre mark
- Conductor: Stranded plain annealed copper (class 2), Stranded aluminium (class 2) or solid aluminium (class 1) to BS EN 60228
- Insulation: XLPE type DIX 3 or EPR type DIE 5 to BS 7870-1, Annex B
- Sheath: Type A cables MDPE type DMP 5 to BS 7870-1, Annex B.
- Sheath: Type B cables LSZH type DMZ 4 to BS 7870-1, Annex B.
- Flame propagation on single cable (Type B cables only) BS EN 60332-1-2
- Flame propagation on multiple cables (Type B cables only) BS EN IEC 60332-3-24
- Smoke emission (Type B cables only) BS EN 61034
- Corrosive and acid gas (Type B cables only) BS EN IEC 60754